One cannot say enough about the greatness and health benefits of ghee, especially if it’s organic and homemade. This is an easy 3-step recipe to make ghee or clarified butter easily at home. I promise, you’ll never go back to the store for it again.
My notion about ghee or rather homemade ghee, completely changed after watching Rujuta Diwekar’s ‘The Indian Food Wisdom’. After making ghee at home, and consuming it almost everyday, I do see the health benefits clearly. My mirror, mind, and doctor agrees too.
Before jumping into the ghee recipe, here are ten proven health benefits of clarified butter, as said by Rujuta Diwekar, a renowned Indian nutritionist. I’ve provided a summary to share all the positive qualities of this superfood.
- Full of antibacterial and antiviral properties. Ensures prevention from sickness, rather than just recovering from sickness.
- Has antioxidants with excellent anti-wrinkle and anti aging therapy that you were searching for!
- Excellent for joint health as it lubricates and oxygenates them.
- It will transport nutrients from your food through fat permeable membranes to your brain.
- Improves satiety signal and ensures that you don’t overeat.
- Perfect for a healthy heart as it’s rich in antioxidants, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and fat soluble vitamins like A, E, and D.
- It’s a unique kind of saturated fat that actually helps mobilize fats from stubborn fat areas or ‘problem areas’ of the body. They are not same same saturated fat as found in processed food.
- By nature, Ghee is lipolytic, that which breaks down fat, due to its’ unique short chain fatty acids.
- It reduces cholesterol by increasing contribution of lipids towards metabolism. As the liver produces excess cholesterol under stress, ghee helps you de-stress, sleep better and wake up fresher!Without further delay, here’s the recipe – easy homemade organic clarified butter a.k.a Desi Ghee 🙂
- Last but not the least, food tastes super delicious with a bit of ghee.
Ingredients you will need:
16 oz or 1 pack unsalted butter (four sticks)
¼ tsp salt
Method for cooking:
- Bring a pan to heat. When it is warm, add the stick of butter and keep the heat on medium-high. Allow all the four stick to melt completely. You may gently stir (optional) for the heat to spread evenly and for them to melt quickly.
- Once all of it melts, it will start frothing on the surface and boiling just underneath it. Turn down the flame/heat to low. Let it boil for 20-25 mins.
- Gradually the froth will disappear and the milk solids will sink to the bottom of the pan. The cooked butter will now look transparent/clear with a golden-yellow color. You may cook it a few mins extra to get a darker color but be careful not to burn it. (It can get burnt in seconds!) Turn off the heat and pour it in a glass jar/utensil through a strainer. Add a pinch of salt and stir. Your homemade organic ghee is ready!
Do not worry if the color gets a darker shade of golden-yellow. I personally prefer it that way as the aroma is stronger.
Once the ghee cools down to room temperature, you may refrigerate it. Unless the weather is very hot in general, ghee will solidify and look like this.
Apart from your whole house smelling as though you just freshly baked butter goodies, after you make ghee, it is also excellent for children and pregnant women. This is such a super food and so easy to make that you must give it a try once, at least! It’s health in a jar. :)Healthy people make happy people. Stay healthy!
xoxop.s. Do connect with me on my other Social Media accounts, would love to hear from you!