An easy, luscious gluten-free pasta recipe with shrimps. Easy weeknight meal or can be a fancy dinner for guests.
I seldom get pasta cravings. But when I do, I don’t like pasta with only marinara sauce. I like it to be luscious but not too cheesy. And this recipe is the perfect balance. It’s no-cheese, gluten free pasta with a delicious orange-infused, garlic-y, shrimp sauce.
The idea to infuse it with freshly squeezed orange juice was almost instantaneous and impulsive. And it was a very positive experiment. (I honestly knew it wouldn’t go wrong since it would just give the dish the orange fragrance with the tanginess of the fruit.) With the winter season at it’s peak in California, oranges are everywhere. So why not add some to make our dinner? You will love it. So go ahead, use some orange juice and zest fearlessly.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 lb (1 pack) gluten-free brown rice spaghetti pasta
- 3-4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup white wine of your choice
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ¼ cup (1 medium navel orange) freshly squeezed orange juice
- Salt and pepper, according to taste
Method for cooking:
- Boil the pasta in water with salt, according to the instructions on the pack. Save 1 cup of the pasta water separately.Keep pasta aside.
- Marinate shrimp with salt and pepper for 10 mins. In a heated pan with 1 tbsp olive oil, shallow fry the shrimp for 3-4 mins. Keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and butter. Once hot, add garlic.
- When garlic has browned, add the shallots, chili flakes, some salt, and pepper.
- Once shallots are translucent, pour the wine and half of the pasta water. Let this simmer.
- Once sauce begins to thicken, add the fresh orange juice. Add the zest.
- When sauce has reduced and looks thick, add the shrimp. Stir for a minute.
- Add the boiled pasta, remaining pasta water, spinach, and Italian seasoning. Toss this for 2-3 mins or till spinach wilts. Your pasta is ready!